Monday, May 16, 2011

Forget You, by Jennifer Echols

Forget YouForget You by Jennifer Echols

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


After "Going too Far," I had high hopes for this book, but I was mildly disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it's a good story with interesting characters, but I could never really find myself immersed in it. For one thing, the main character, Zooey, is difficult to like. Sometimes that's not a problem as characters grow and change over the course of the story (that's usually the point, right?). But in this case, Zooey's resistance to acknowledging reality, and her kind of self destructive ways of dealing with things just got irritating, particularly her professed loyalty to a known player after a one-night hookup. The story does contain a major contender for worst dad ever, which takes some doing in a YA book. In fact there's really two crappy dads to contend with here. Again, not an issue per se, but they seemed cartoonishly bad, not really emotionally impactful. (Mild spoiler alert here) The scene where Zooey's Mom escapes and rescues her is weird - I really thought this was a dream sequence for quite a while, and that Zooey would regain consciousness and wise up, but no, it's really happening, however implausibly. So, definitely will stick with Jennifer Echols, but unable to give this the enthusiasm I felt for "Going too Far."



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment