Sunday, September 11, 2011

June of Rock, by Elisa Ludwig

June of RockJune of Rock by Elisa Ludwig

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I enjoyed this quite a bit, somewhat to my surprise, since June started out as a self-admitted bit of a hostile b. Her acknowledgement of that, and her attempts to move past it, are kind of a charming part of the story, as she becomes more accepting of what is really going on with her, her relationships, her fantasies about her Dad returning, and her attempts to make her rock fantasies become real. I went to a rock/guitar camp a few years ago, and although I'm not a teenage girl (obvs), June's experiences rang true to the vibe of the weird social microcosm these places are. By the end of the story I was empathizing with and rooting for June, who it turns out really is a pretty cool, if somewhat mixed up person. June is a drummer, in a book by a Ludwig, pretty cool note there for a Beatles fan!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment