Thursday, February 2, 2012

Catching Jordan, by Miranda Kenneally

Catching JordanCatching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I am kind of an emo guy, just putting that out there up front, sports and sporty people are not really my thing. Too many noogies, too many girls who liked me until baseball season started - maybe I'm even still jelli of the adulation and attention our Latin Club never got (and we rocked the Junior Classical League competition, let me tell you!). Anyway, that perspective unfortunately totally colored my experience of this book, which I must say was well crafted and engaging, with many charming elements. So, if you like books about sporty girls who have family and romantic issues, this is absolutely a good choice for you! It was also a good price on Nook ($4.99). Plus, if you are thinking about reading this, lots of my Goodreads friends loved this one, and you should check out their reviews, because they have awesome taste! But for me, sorry, it wasn't my cup of tea (see, I'm a tea drinker, GAH! that might explain a lot! and BTW, IF YOU HAVEN'T READ IT YET THE REST MIGHT BE MILDLY SPOILERISH) The MC is a jock, with a jock outlook on life, she dresses, eats, talks and acts like one. So, until she starts her journaling and a (slightly) more introspective way of looking at the world, she reminded me a lot of why I didn't especially like jocks in high school (seriously, Sally, how could you!), or why I'd rather have my nails pulled out than watch Sports Center. Sam Henry? C'mon girlfriend, is there one girl in this book/the whole school he hasn't slept with? And now you love him? After he treated you like that? Why? In fact, all of the characters' attitudes towards sex seemed ... jockish, I thought, kind of cavalier and slightly crude, without much of an emotional element. And the dad was such a dick (he's a professional jock!), I had trouble with his "redemption," at the end, it seemed way too little too late. I do want to clarify that this is cute, with funny and dramatic parts, character growth, real sounding teen voices and lots of things that make for a good read. But ... it's about the jock life, which ain't my life, and I just didn't have the strength of imagination to get past that. I wish the author every success, she seems awesome, but I see that her next book is about baseball. Yikes, that sport really kicked my ass, so ...



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment