Monday, March 16, 2009

Resident Evil 5 - That's What I'm Talkin' About!


I've been waiting for this game to come out for a long time, and picked it up Friday night. I've never loved a game the way I loved Resident Evil 4, I must have played that game scores of times (ha ha, scores!), and The Mercenaries even more (High Score: Wesker, Castle level, 227,500). So, there are some high expectations on my part here, that reality (?) may never be able to meet. I am liking it, but am still struggling to move to the new (to me) controller environment of the PS3 (I still like playing RE4 on the GameCube best). A few things I've noticed so far: there's no spooky music when you enter a new area, nor is there that weird old fashioned music that let's you know you're near a typewriter for saving. In fact there don't seem to be any in-game saving spots at all, until you finish a chapter. Maybe I just haven't figured it out yet, I'm not an intuitive gamer, it takes me a while to pick up on things. I like having a partner who watches your back, although I can hardly ever figure out what Sheva is up to and she seems to wander off a lot. She is generous with the herb, though, so that is good. She is also quite appealing, attractive and kind, so that's good, too. I have already spent too much time trying to figure out what her tattoo says, and what the significance of it is. So far the locales are redolent of the grungiest parts of RE4 - the island, the first building you enter with the "hospital" and so forth. There is a certain post-colonial grittiness to it all, but I'm hoping for something cooler, like the castle, ominous and foreboding, but nonetheless kind of elegant. I don't see how that can happen, though, really, in the environment they've chosen. So, that's it for prelinary observations. I've decided to play slowly this time. I rushed though the first couple plays of RE4 in an attempt to "finish," but I now realize that I enjoy "playing the game," as opposed to "having played the game." So, trying to chill out a little on that. (Credit for photo: www.joystiq.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment